AHDB Beef & Lamb is the organisation for beef and lamb levy payers in England.
We exist to enhance the profitability and sustainability of the English beef and lamb sector. Our aims are:
- To help the beef and sheep meat supply chain become more efficient
- To add value to the beef and sheep meat industry.
AHDB Beef & Lamb is part of the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB) along with five other levy organisations:
- AHDB Pork – for the pig industry in England
- AHDB Cereals and Oilseeds – for cereals and oilseeds in the UK
- AHDB Dairy – for milk in Great Britain
- AHDB Potatoes – for potatoes in Great Britain
- AHDB Horticulture – for the horticultural sector in Great Britain.
AHDB is a non-departmental public body (NDPB). That means it operates independently of Government but liaises closely with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), its sponsor department.
AHDB Beef & Lamb is funded through a statutory levy paid on all beef and sheep animals slaughtered in, or live animals exported from, England. Visit levy rates to find out more about the levy.
As a division of AHDB, AHDB Beef & Lamb does not have a stand-alone annual report. View the full AHDB annual report here.
We undertake a variety of activities on behalf of our levy payers to help them get the best possible returns from their enterprises in a sustainable way, as well as stimulating a profitable demand for beef and lamb. Our work is equally split between cattle and sheep and can be divided into a number of distinct areas. Without the involvement of AHDB Beef & Lamb , it is unlikely that individual enterprises would have the resources to invest in areas like research and marketing – to the detriment of the industry.